Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Keeps me turning home . . .

"I don't know no friends like the old friends" - Turning Home, David Nail.

After an incredibly rewarding and enjoyable weekend with college friends I returned to the joys of work. Nothing like checking your messages and discovering three of your good friends just got hit with lay offs. Sometimes, even though I mostly love it, I wonder about the place I work at. Politics are getting old. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sheriff and the people I work with; I just have issues with the institution.
For all of you who have ever worked nights, especially these glorious twelve hour shifts, you know how important good coworkers can be. I am bitter. I am a little depressed. I am feeling a little guilty too, if layoffs ever reach me it pretty much means we shut the jail down. Turnover in our division is so high here it's ridiculous. Those of us who stay have pretty much decided we can endure anything. Our shift has been together for almost 4 years. My two best friends may be leaving also, one for state law enforcement and one for city.
Somehow we keep coming to work, most times with a smile. We keep coming back to the politics, the layoffs, the fights and general bullshit. Why? I think because it's our home. Our best work related memories are here with each other. We are the last line of defense for each other, and somehow that makes it worth it.

BROTHERHOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment